Holy Family Hospital’s Breast Care Center is designed for convenience and comfort, while offering the best in breast health care services. Cutting-edge technology helps to insure early detection, the key to successful treatment. The use of advanced technology allows Holy Family to offer women of all ages the best in screening and diagnostic services, including:
- Low-dose mammography
- Sereotactic and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration and core biopsy
- Tomosynthesis (3-D mammography)
Holy Family’s Methuen campus offers the latest in breast cancer screening – tomosynthesis, better known as 3-D mammography – the most exciting advancement in breast cancer detection in more than 30 years. 3-D mammography offers benefits over more conventional screening technologies and techniques, improving early detection of smaller breast cancers.
All women over the age of 20 should include a breast exam as part of their regular health checkups at least every three years. After the age of 40, every woman should have an annual mammogram, as well as a yearly clinical breast exam and monthly self-exams.
Women at greater risk of breast cancer should have a specified breast care schedule with their physician. Risk factors include:
- Previous history of breast cancer
- Family history of breast cancer or a precancerous breast condition
- Breast changes or any of the following warning signs:
- A lump or thickening in the breast or armpit
- Puckering, dimpling, or other breast skin changes
- A retracted nipple
- Bl eeding or discharge from the nipple
Digital mammography is also offered at the Holy Family Hospital's Haverhill campus.
Holy Family Hospital possesses a valid Commonwealth of Massachusetts Mammography License and Certificate of Inspection from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and is accredited by the American College of Radiology.